Fire fighters battle back-to-back blazes


Yadkinville Fire Fighters on the site of a large scrap metal fire on Thursday afternoon.

Yadkinville fire fighters responded to a blaze at a Triad Metal Recyclers at 2200 Memorial Road on Thursday afternoon. The cause of the fire was not determined but foul play was not suspected. Yadkinville Fire Department was assisted by Boonville, Arlington, Courtney, Fall Creek, West Yadkin and Lone Hickory Fire Departments. Advance Fire Department also assisted with their 4,000 gallon tanker.

EMS personnel and the Yadkin Rescue Squad were on the scene as well. Yadkinville Fire Chief Jody Vestal said the pile of scrap that was burning weighed around 2.5 million pounds and was around 30 feet high.

“The fire was deep down inside the pile and required a lot of water to extinguish,” Vestal said. “We used the fire hydrant at the Austin Company as well as a pond on a farm on Bethel Church Road to fill the tankers. Everyone worked really well together. I want to thank all departments for the assistance.”

Vestal also thanked the local McDonalds which provided food for the fire fighters during the incident.

The call was dispatched at 4:32 p.m. and the fire was under control by around 7:30 p.m.

Area fire fighters did not get much of a break on Thursday as they were dispatched again around 10:20 p.m. to a fire on Myers Road in Yadkinville.

Vestal said they arrived on the scene to a full-involved blaze in a detached two-story, three stall garage. Forbush, Boonville, Courtney and Fall Creek Fire Departments assisted with Yadkin EMS on the scene as well. There were no reported injuries. Yadkin County Fire Marshal Ricky Leonard said the cause of the blaze was undetermined but foul play was not suspected.

Vestal said that some members of his department were still at the fire station cleaning equipment from the earlier fire at the recycling center when the second call came in.

“It was a long night for a lot of people,” he said. “I want to thank everyone for their dedication and hard work because after we got back home from the second fire they had to start over with the cleaning of the equipment and getting the trucks ready to respond again. A lot of people went to work the next day with only a couple hours of sleep.”

Kitsey Burns Harrison may be reached at 336-258-4035 or follow her on Twitter @news_shewrote.

Leave a Reply